| Home > Maternity Hire - FAQ
Frequently Asked Questions
What is a maternity TENS machine?
- What is a maternity TENS machine ?
- Why use a maternity TENS machine ?
- How does TENS work ?
- What does TENS feel like ?
- When do I start using the maternity TENS ?
- How long should it be used ?
- Can I try it out ?
- Is it safe ?
- I would like a water birth - can I use a maternity TENS ?
- Can I use a maternity TENS machine with other pain relief methods ?
- Can I use a maternity TENS machine after the birth ?
- Can I use an ordinary TENS machine ?
- When is the best time to order ?
- What if I am due in less than 3 weeks ?
- Can I take the TENS machine into hospital with me ?
- What if my baby is late ?
- Can I use the TENS machine to treat back pain during pregnancy ?
Transcutaneous Electrical Nerve Stimulation (TENS) is a professionally researched, tried and tested method of pain management in childbirth and chronic pain used in European hospitals and clinics since the 1960's.
Labour TENS unit is an advanced, small, battery powered device which sends a pulsed electrical stimulus via pads to the skin.
Why use a maternity TENS machine ?
How does TENS work ?
- No harm to baby
- Drug free pain control
- Instant long lasting pain relief
- No side effects or drowsiness
- Fully controllable with boost button
- Used at home when contractions start
- Can be used with other methods /drugs
- Safe and easy to use at home or in hospital
- Proven up to 90% effective for reducing labour pain
- Non invasive giving freedom to move and walk about
What does TENS feel like ?
- Releases natural pain killers (endorphins and encephalins)
- Blocks out pain messages to the brain.
- Provides a sense of control over labour pain and gives an alternative focus
When do I start using the TENS machine?
- A pleasant tingling sensation on the skin where the pads are placed.
How long should the maternity TENS be used ?
- We recommend you start using the maternity TENS machine at home at the onset of contractions. Early use of the TENS promotes the bodies production of endorphins and encephalins - the bodies natural pain killers.
Can I practice with the TENS machine ?
- The Tens machine can be used as needed for as long as desired but a minimum 60 minute duration is recommended for childbirth.
Is TENS safe?
- Yes, we recommend you tryout the TENS machine beforehand so that you are familiar with the operation. You may place the pads on your lower back as you would during labour or you may place them on the inside of your forearm to test. If you are earlier than 37 weeks then limit the test to a short period. The pads are self adhesive and re-usable. Re-apply the plastic film to the sticky side of the pads when finished and store in the plastic bag.
I would like a water birth - can I use maternity TENS ?
- Yes, our TENS is specifically designed for Labour. It has been professionally researched, tried and tested since the 1960's. However there are a few precautions. Do not use over broken or desensitised skin. Do not use before 37 weeks unless approved by your doctor. Do not use if you have a pacemaker. Seek advice from doctor if you have epilepsy.
Can I use the maternity Tens machine with other pain relief methods ?
- Yes, although NOT whilst in the water. Use during the first stage of labour which may take several hours. The midwife will not usually ask you to enter the water after you are 5cm dilated. You need to REMOVE the TENS machine BEFORE you enter the water.
Can I use the TENS machine after the birth ?
- Yes, you may continue using the TENS machine with other methods such as pethidine and gas and air.
Can I use an ordinary TENS machine ?
- Yes, the TENS machine is very effective for reducing the pain of uterine contractions after birth. The TENS can also be used whilst breast feeding after birth, and can be used with leg, neck or back pain.
When is the best time to order ?
- It is not recommended as ordinary TENS machines will be less effective. A maternity TENS uses larger pads and has specially designed programmes with a boost button for changing between the programmes to allow an increase in pain relief during contractions, these do not exist on a standard tens unit.
What if I am due in less than 3 weeks ?
- Order as soon as possible to secure your maternity TENS machine. It will be posted out to you 3 weeks prior to your baby’s due date, priority hire is sent same working day. You can order 6 months in advance of your baby’s due date
Can I take the TENS into hospital with me ?
- We recommend you use the Priority Hire Service - Sent via Special Delivery same or 1st working day.
What if my baby is late ?
- Yes. The midwives and doctors are usually very happy for women to use a maternity TENS. Check with your midwife or doctor if you are unsure. You may need to turn the TENS off temporarily whilst using electronic monitoring equipment.
Can I use a maternity TENS to treat back pain during pregnancy ?
- You automatically get an extra week free, any longer needed, email us as soon as possible and we can normally give you another extension for one week.